Monday, November 26, 2012

Sensation of Losing Oneself in the Moment.

Have you ever experienced a moment in time where you lose all sense of time, of thought, of all that we are trying to conform; COMPLETE EXUBERANCE, FREEDOM, GALUMPHING ENERGY OF EXPRESSION THAT RADIATES I AM ALIVE!?  

Galumphing: page 42-3 of Kay Redfield Jamison's book EXUBERANCE; The Passion For Life, describes it beautifully, I LOVE this book, I've read it many times over.

Today I had these moments of pure "I am definitely IN my painting".  It is a sensation I hope everyone experiences once in their life.  Wether it is losing yourself at work crunching numbers, running back and forth from here to there, while dancing in a crowded club with music coursing through the cells of your body, standing on a stage performing your heart out, sewing to your hearts content, creating music, singing your soul out in the comfort of your bathroom, ripping seams as you design the next fashion item, hiking through lush forests, swimming with wild dolphins, editing, enveloped in the smells of the dark room, whatever your passion may be, true enjoyment of BEING, these moments are treasures!  

I just couldn't keep from relaying this message.  The brush couldn't translate the expression I needed and wanted to share in my painting, this resulted in taking the bristles within my hands, in between fingers, dripping with paint, splattering the surface of my canvas as if the paint were an extension of my body's movement.  I finally felt satisfied and elated!    

To get to this point can be challenging especially with all the distractions of the modern world.  I find the practice of being in the studio and 'losing myself', a state of targeted concentration, a meditative experience.  If only I can remain in this state at all times, but then I guess those moments wouldn't be as special.  

Forever grateful,
Marie

On the wall in my studio; positive affirmation to self:)
      

2 comments:

  1. Marie -- Congratulations on recognizing the magnitude of the life that is within you.

    Life and being alive is far, far more an astounding thing that most think and many never come close to the experience you related above.

    Humans are separate from other animal life in that each one of us is an utterly unique creation in the entire universe and in all time, past, present and future.

    Not just physically unique, but metaphysically as well. Our uniqueness comes from the sum of all that we are, every molecule, every thought, every memory, every emotion and everything we do.

    Such uniqueness did not just happen and does not exist without reason. We have purpose and it is simply to live.

    We should exult in our being alive and feel the life within us and be grateful for the chance to be human.

    You've probably read this, but D.H. Lawrence, captured it well:

    "For man, the vast marvel is to be alive. For man, as for flower and beast and bird, the supreme triumph is to be most vividly, most perfectly alive…. We ought to dance with rapture that we should be alive and in the flesh, and part of the living, incarnate cosmos."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your input, beautifully said!!! Exactly:)

      Delete